Ways and Means Committee
The Committee on Ways and Means is the oldest committee of the United States Congress, and is the chief tax-writing committee in the House of Representatives. The Committee derives a large share of its jurisdiction from Article I, Section VII of the U.S. Constitution which declares, "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives."
Congressman Schock participating in a Ways and Means committee hearing
Schock’s appointment to the highly coveted Trade subcommittee is especially relevant to the 18th District because of the synergy of economic interests relying on international trade to export products and commodities produced in Central and Western Illinois. 50% to 70% of products the high-wage manufacturing employees produce, along with all agriculture commodities are exported. The USA has 5% of the world population and trade expansion allows products grown or manufactured here to be sold to the other 95% of the world population. Trade expansion is vital for jobs and a growing economy in Illinois.
The subcommittee on trade has oversight over reciprocal trade agreements including multilateral and bilateral trade negotiations and implementation of agreements involving tariff and nontariff trade barriers. Current trade negotiations include the pending free trade agreements with South Korea, Colombia, and Panama.
Select Revenue Measures subcommittee
The jurisdiction of the Subcommittee on Select Revenue Measures shall consist of those revenue measures that, from time to time, shall be referred to it specifically by the Chairman of the full Committee.
Social Security subcommittee
The jurisdiction of the Subcommittee on Social Security shall include bills and matters referred to the Committee on Ways and Means that relate to the Federal Old-Age, Survivors’ and Disability Insurance System, the Railroad Retirement System, and employment taxes and trust fund operations relating to those systems.
Committee on House Administration
The Committee on House Administration is the committee of the House of Representatives charged with the oversight of federal elections and the day-to-day functions of the House of Representatives. At the beginning of the 113th Congress, Chairwoman Candice Miller announced the elimination of the subcommittees. Business before the committee will be handled by the full committee. Schock also serves as the Chairman of the Franking Commission which is under the jurisdiction of the committee on House Administration and appointed by the Speaker of the House.